Although I don’t call myself an eco-organizer, eco-friendly, green, or use any other catchy, popular phrases, I promote a sustainable, ‘living better with less’ lifestyle which is at the heart of environmentalism. I don’t think you have to say you’re something to be it. I’m not into gimmicks, tricks, or one-size-fits-all answers. I help people change the way they see the things in their life; to see them as tools to help live the life they want, not just consuming for consuming’s sake. The term reduce, reuse, recycle is in that order for a reason; recycling isn’t the first step, it’s the last resort. With my process, reduced, conscious consumption is the end result which is the first and most important step to living a more environmentally conscious life (whether you’re looking for that or not).
- turn off electricity and water when not it’s not needed like when you’re not in the room!
- take your name off junk mail lists
- don’t leave your chargers plugged in when not in use
- use natural cleaning products
- avoid using disposable products; silverware, razors…
- get Q-tips with cardboard stems not plastic
- tampons with cardboard applicators not plastic
- eggs in paper cartons not plastic
Example, I opted for a metal scooper for my litter box instead of plastic. If properly kept it will last a very long time and when it’s done it can be recycled rather than tossed in the trash.